Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bittersweet - Sarah Ockler

Title: Bittersweet
Author: Sarah Ockler
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012, Hardcover
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 
Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...
************************************************************
I haven't written a review for a while so I'm sort of rusty. I just know that I won't be able to give this book the justice it deserves. I can't even tell you how wonderful and just down right awesome it is. This is what I wish all young adult contemporary was like. I also forgot how much I love Sarah Ockler's writing. It has been awhile since I read one of her books and it is just so unique and real.

Bittersweet tells the story of Hudson Avery. She is an ex-figure skater and the current Cupcake Queen of Watonka. She works at her mother’s diner Hurley's and tries to stay under the radar after her parent's divorce. One day she gets a letter in the mail about an Ice Skating competition for the prize of a scholarship. She starts to begin to dream about ice skating again and a way out of Watonka but with things getting in the way and her mother and friends depending on her she has to decide what is worth more.

Can I just say that this book made me wish that it was winter time. I started reading this just when it started to get cold where I live and it just made the reading experience much more great. I also was hungry for cupcakes, more specifically Hudson's cupcakes. Also there is a lot of ice skating in this book. For example: Hudson ice skates on a frozen Lake Erie. How awesome is that?! Sarah Ockler's writing was just so descriptive and so real. I felt like I was out on the lake with Hudson and Josh.

Let me now introduce you to Josh Blackthron. He is everything a love interest should be and the relationship between him and Hudson didn't seem rush or unrealistic but very real. That is how I felt about all the characters in this book. I feel like if I went to up-state New York and found a small town named Watonka then I would see Hudson and Josh at Hurley's. Anyways, Josh is the co-caption of the High school’s hockey team. He was just a great character and the relationship he had with Hudson was just fantastic. I really can't tell you why I like it so much but beside the fact that I just said; it seems real.

Hudson is such a funny and likable character to read from. Right from the first chapter I knew that Hudson would be someone that I would want to be friends with in real life. Even though she isn't the best friend to her friends. She is sort of a backstabber by accident. She never wants to treat her friends badly she just does without realizing it but at the end she does own up to her mistakes which makes her such a real and likable character to me! There is this one scene that made me laugh out loud that I just want to talk about because I still remember even though I finished the book a couple of days ago. Hudson is talking to Will about the hockey team and as Will is starting out the story, Hudson says, "Why does this seem like an episode of Friday Night Lights?" LOL. And that is just one of the many jokes that Hudson says during the book.

Overall, I loved, loved, loved Bittersweet. It has been a long time since I loved a contemporary book and I am happy that it was this one. This book is just special and wonderful to read. I highly recommend it. I just can't stop thinking about it and I couldn't stop reading it. I didn't want it to end. I remember when I got to the last chapter I felt sad. I wanted to erase the book from my mind so I could back and read the book again for the first time and experience all the feelings over again. This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2012 and of all time. Oh and by the way, don't read this book hungry and make sure you have come cupcakes near by. You will want them, trust me!
 
Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...