Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Deadly Cool - Gemma Halliday

Title: Deadly Cool
Author: Gemma Halliday
Release Date: October 11, 2011, paperback
Publisher: HarperTeen
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool.

But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.
*****************************************
Deadly Cool was definitely not what I was expecting. It was a very fun and quick read. Hartley is a hilarious main character to read from. This book isn't very serious. I thought that it would be a dark and deep murder mystery, but really it's not. There isn't much depth to the story at all. However, the story is very mysterious. I couldn’t figure out who the killer was at all. I had a few suspects, but I still wasn't sure. The author did a good job of keeping the murderer a mystery. I loved the chemistry between Hartley and Chase! Also, I liked all the funny conversations between Hartley and her best friend Sam. I was never bored for a minute.

This book is also very high school. There is a lot of main stream stuff mention like; Hollister, The Cheesecake Factory, Daughtry. etc. That was okay at times, but I felt like the author just kept throwing stuff in there. I also got a little annoyed at the dialogue sometimes. The word "dude" had to be used at least 50 times in this whole book. Other than that, I don't have anything else to complain about!

Overall, I really recommend this book if you are looking for a very light fun read. The ending was absolutely hilarious between Chase and Hartley. I can't wait for the next book and to see what adventures happen to Hartley and the gang next. By the way, this cover is one of the prettiest covers I have ever seen! The cover has some symbolism to the story. I see why there are ear plugs now on the cover! Creepy...

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...