Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Matched - Ally Condie

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Release Date: November 30, 2011, hardcover
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
*****************************************
I actually really enjoyed this book. I thought that I was going to hate it. So many people have talked about how awful this book was, so my expectations were pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised by how I much I liked it. Ally Condie sets up this futuristic world that is very confusing to understand. That is one of my biggest issues about this book. I felt like the author didn't explain anything at all. I am so confused. What is the deal with these tablets? Why must they carry them at all times? Who is the Society? Who is the enemy, which they are having a war with? What is up with these providences?
I don’t really know what to say about Cassia. At times, I hated her and then I really liked her. I felt like she wasn't a strong character. I wanted her to fight against the officials. I wanted her to keep those two poems from her grandfather. I wanted her to hide her artifact, not just Ky’s. I wanted her to break the rules. Although, she did become reckless towards the end, which I enjoyed very much! I like heroines that will fight against the rules, and are strong. I don’t think Cassia was any of those things. With all that being said, I did like her at times. I could understand her confusion between Xander and Ky.
This book was interesting. I couldn’t put it down. I didn’t stop reading until I found out what would happen. I loved Ky. He was the best character in the whole book. I am a huge fan of the “forbidden love” stuff, so of course I loved it in this book. One of my favorite scenes was when Ky was teaching Cassia to write in cursive :) Ky is just so awesome!
Overall, this book was good. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it either. I can’t wait for the next book. I wonder what Cassia will do next, and if she will be able to find Ky.
Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...