Friday, November 11, 2011

Fateful - Claudia Gray

Title: Fateful
Author: Claudia Gray
Release Date: September 13, 2011, hardcover
Publisher: Harper Collins
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

Eighteen-year-old maid Tess Davies is determined to escape the wealthy, troubled family she serves. It’s 1912, and Tess has been trapped in the employ of the Lisles for years, amid painful memories and twisted secrets. But now the Lisle family is headed to America, with Tess in tow. Once the ship they’re sailing on—the RMS Titanic—reaches its destination, Tess plans to strike out and create a new life for herself.

Her single-minded focus shatters when she meets Alec, a handsome first-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets of his own. He’s in a hurry to leave Europe, and whispers aboard the ship say it’s because of the tragic end of his last affair with the French actress who died so gruesomely and so mysteriously. . . .

Soon Tess will learn just how dark Alec’s past truly is. The danger they face is no ordinary enemy: werewolves exist and are stalking him—and now her, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over.
*****************************************


I have been super excited to read this book ever since I first heard about it. Werewolf’s + RMS Titanic = AWESOMESAUCE. I can't even explain how high my expectations for this book were. This was such a total unique spin on a huge moment on history that is very intriguing to read about. The story starts out with a servant girl named Tess, who works for the Lisle’s family. While on the ship; she falls for this boy named Alec, gets caught up in the Brotherhood, and learns secrets of the family that she works for.

With all that being said, this book was not what I was expecting. I wouldn't say that it is a bad thing or a good thing. It just went in a totally different path than I thought it would. The story starts out very slow and hard to get into. I didn't get interested until it was her first night on the Titanic. I thought that the family she worked for was very dramatic. I loved learning the secrets about them, as Tess did. When you meet all these characters, you can't help but wonder who will survive or who will die? So I tried not to get too attached to any of the characters. I really liked Miss Irene. Her story was completely and truly sad. She was the only one I felt sympathy for. Other than that I didn't feel bad for anyone else.

I thought the romance between Alec and Tess was too much. It didn't seem that realistic and somewhat cheesy. I still enjoyed reading about them, but it just seemed like they fell in love way too soon. I also became bored with all drama that involved the Brotherhood and the Russian guy. It was interesting at first, but I felt like Claudia Gray just dragged it out too much.

Overall, I did enjoy this book very much. Tess was a great main character. She was very likable and easy to read from her perspective. The characters all had their own unique personality, and the way that Claudia Gray described the Titanic was amazing! However, it didn't meet my expectations, unfortunately. I do recommend this book for everyone, especially if you loved Claudia Gray's "Evernight" series. I wish there was another book! I wouldn't mind reading what will happen with Tess next!

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...