Friday, April 13, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Release Date: January 10th, 2012, hardcover
Publisher: Dutton Books
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
*************************************************************

I don't know how to write a review for this book. I am trying to think of something that hasn't already been said in the other thousands of reviews for this book. So I must write this: IT IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS THAT I HAVE EVER READ. And no, I do not say that lightly at all. I will be the first to admit that I have not been a huge fan of John Green. I have loved one of his other books (Looking for Alaska), but hated his other book (Paper Towns). So I wasn't too sure where my feelings would be with The Fault in Our Stars.

I kept reading all the raving reviews. Nobody seemed to have a complaint about this book at all! Even some people I know that haven't been John Green's biggest fans in the past even enjoyed this book. I took that as a sign that I needed to go to the local bookstore and pick this up. I told myself that I was going to sit down and read this, and try to hide all the previous judgments on any of his previous work. And I must say, that after the first 10 pages I said to myself, "What the heck? What was the reason I didn't pick this book up sooner? This is genius."

The main character Hazel has cancer and the other main character Augustus also has cancer. (Side note: I never could picture anybody with the name Augustus even being semi attractive. Whenever I hear that name I think of the fat boy of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. But yes, John Green you made someone named Augustus one of the hottest and smartest guys that I have ever read about.) The plot was just something that I can even begin to describe how awesome it was. There is just something special by the way that John Green writes.

I have never read about characters that have seemed so real to me. There was sometimes when Hazel would say stuff that I didn't necessary agree with towards the end, but then realize the more I thought about it the more I came to accept it. That didn't make me like her character any less, if anything; I had a new respect for her. Everything single thing that came out of Augustus mouth was true genius. He was like a freakin poet. One of my favorite parts in the book was about the cigarettes:

"They don't kill you unless you light them," he said as Mom arrived at the curb. "And I've never lit one. It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing."

From that moment on, I knew that I was going to love this book. There was only three parts that I cried at in this book, but many parts when I felt my stomach twist up and my hearting ripping into a million pieces. This book is just something I can't even describe or begin to explain why you should read it.

I am one of the other thousands of people who are shoving it down your throat saying to read it. No like seriously, you really need to read it. You haven't read about cancer teens until you have read this book. There is just some kind of unique twist on this book that I loved it. The relationship between Hazel and Augustus was beautiful. I don't know what else to say about it, besides the fact that my face was soaked in tears by the end of it.

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...