Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Future of Us - Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

Title: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Release Date: November 21st, 2011, hardcover
Publisher: Razorbill
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.
*************************************************************
I have been excited to read this book since forever. I became Jay Asher's number one fan when I read Thirteen Reasons Why. I couldn't wait to read more books by him! Then why I read the summary for this book, my jaw actually dropped. It sounded so good; I mean it's about teens in the 90's discovering their future on Facebook. So I had pretty high expectations for this book and that could have been some of the problem.

I couldn't connect with the two main characters. They didn't feel real to me just like two-dimensional. However, I did like Josh more than I liked Emma. Another part of the book that kind of upset me was the actual Facebook status updates, that Emma would read off of her future profile. They were pretty boring! I wish that the authors could have come up with something more creative for the status updates and also describe some other pictures and their interests. We do get to know some more about that kind of stuff on Emma's but nothing on Josh's. That kind of made me mad. The story was also kind of predictable. I knew what the outcome would be since I first met the characters. I also felt like I needed to know more of a back-story between Emma and Josh. We do learn what "happened" between them that split their friendship, but I just wanted a more creative story, I guess.

Other than the negative stuff I just mentioned, I actually really liked it. It was a quick, light, and fun read. There wasn't anything too serious and was easy to keep your attention to make you keep reading. Emma and Josh’s friends were awesome! I also loved Josh's story on Facebook! That was my favorite part of the book.

Overall, I recommend this book. It was very cute, but nothing that will be one of my favorite books of all time. I suggest putting aside all of your expectations since it is a Jay Asher book. Other than that, I think that you will be able to enjoy the story between Josh and Emma!


Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...