Thursday, November 1, 2012

Born Wicked - Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Release Date: February 7th, 2012, Hardcover
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
************************************************************
Born Wicked was definitely not what I was expecting. I wish there would have been more spells and witchcraft involved. While there is some, I just wish there was more and a more backstory of the witches history. I am hoping that it is told more in the second book. The main character Cate was a lot of fun to read from, but I felt she was too boring and uptight. I understand that she was trying to help her sisters but I wish she would have been more fun. There is a small love triangle in this book but a lot of the romance is surrounded by Finn, who is their gardener. I, of course, was hoping for the other guy but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. For some reason that always happen to me. I tend to like the guy who doesn't have a chance.

The government is something I also couldn't understand. The book starts right out talking about the Brotherhood. Am I the only one who is very confused about this? What even is the Brotherhood? I know that it this group of men who fight against witches and taking them to asylums. I just wish there would have been more of a backstory on that also. I also have some problems with the Sisterhood, but I am more intrigued if anything. I can't wait for the next book to read more about them. It should be interesting!

There is a plot twist in this book that revolves around the three sisters and I just couldn't be happier about it! I really enjoyed that. I can't wait to see how it will play out in the next book. This was a good first start to the series, but I can tell as the series progresses with more books it will start to become better and more world building. I hope we find out more about her mother and her godmother. There is a big mystery revolving around them and I hope it we find out more information about it.

Overall, this book left me wanting more as you can tell. I enjoy the characters and the storylines but want more of a backstory told on the characters. I also hope there is more of a love triangle and have it not all focused on Finn. Maybe I will grow to like him the next book, but I honestly couldn't see the appeal. I'm just weird like that I guess.
 
Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...