Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dreamless - Josephine Angelini

Title: Dreamless
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release Date: May 29th, 2012, Hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 
As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder. As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.
*************************************************************
It has been difficult for me to write a review for this book and I honestly don't know why. Whenever I think about this story; I start to get a headache and a frown on my face. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything wrong with the book. It just didn't live up to my expectations. I just love the first book so much that this fell short.

Dreamless starts out right where Starcrossed left off. Helen is descending into the Underworld every night to try to find the furies and break the curse. Lucas and Helen relationship starts to become difficult with Lucas family telling them they shouldn't be together. Then Helen meets a new Scion, Orion, and the love triangle starts.

One of my absolutely favorite things in the first book was the characters. I just loved them so much but in Dreamless, I felt like that was one of the places that Josephine Angelini was lacking. I was so annoyed at all the characters that it gave me a headache. I use to love Jason and Claire’s relationship in the last book; however I kind hate them now. Jason was so mean to Helen at times that I just wanted to reach through the book and strangle him.

Then there is this whole love triangle between Lucas and Orion. I am a big fan of Lucas but he annoyed me really bad in this book too. I found myself rolling my eyes and sighing in frustration most of the time. I seriously don't know how Helen even put up with him in this book. Helen is stronger than Lucas and if I would have been her I think I would have beaten him up and knock some sense into him. Orion was the only character that made me smile and laugh in the whole book. That is pretty bad when there is only one single character that can do that in a story. Orion is like this books savior. If he hadn't been in it I probably would have gave this only three stars. Even though I am not a fan of the love triangle, I loved Orion so much. I hope that Helen and him just stay as friends and he finds someone else in the next book, but who knows he could really win me over in the next one.

I seriously don't know how Helen made it in this book. I felt so bad and sorry for her. She basically got treated like crap during the whole entire story. She descends to the underworld every night to just die down there and then wakes up to feeling sick and exhausted. I just wish some of the characters would have paid more attention to her and helped her. It was like some of the characters didn't even care that she was sick and almost dying.

The other thing that bothered me was that there was almost no recap. There was some recapping but not a lot. I read Starcrossed about a year ago and couldn't remember every little detail. I would suggest skimming Starcrossed before reading this book. It would probably help a lot. And the last problem that I had with this book was the writing style. There was too many different POV's going around. The chapter would switch from Helen to Daphne to Zach to Lucas. I would get lost and so confused. However, that was just me. That might not bother other people that read the book.

I know that it sounds like I didn't like the book, but I actually really did. I am excited for the next book and can't wait to see what will happen next. Even though this was a letdown, I still enjoyed the storytelling and the backstory of the Furies and the Underworld. Overall, the only advice I can give is don't go into this with high expectations. I know of some people who have loved it and others who were disappointed as well.

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...