Thursday, December 22, 2011

Variant - Robison Wells

Title: Variant
Author: Robison Wells
Release Date: October 4, 2011 hardcover
Publisher: HarperTeen
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life. He was wrong.
Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive. Where breaking the rules equals death.  
  
But when Benson stumbles upon the school’s real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape—his only real hope for survival—may be impossible.
****************************************
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions and reviews over this, and was a little hesitant to pick it up. The first thing that drawled me into reading this was the cover. It looked creepy and mysterious, so I was definitely in to read this.
There is many twist and turns, and complete shocks. I can't even count how many things that I didn't see coming. While this novel is very plot driven, the characters are great. There is growth and development and I became attached to the main characters and even the secondary characters. I found the whole aspect of the school interesting. The author was certainly creative with coming up with this.
I loved everything that the three gangs consisted of. There is the Society, Havoc, and the Variants. While I hated the Society, I loved the other two gangs. I actually liked Mouse and Oakland. I also loved Curtis and Carrie. They did have some small parts, but I think that it is great that the author can make you love the small characters just as much as the big ones.
The love interest that Benson has is totally crazy! That was one huge plot twist that I did not see coming at all. I really liked Jane. That was just weird. I could kind of see Becky becoming a huge character in the next book. At the moment, I really don't know how I feel right now about this. I am just along for whatever happens in the next book between these three characters.
Overall, I actually really enjoyed reading this. It didn't take me that long to get into the story. While the first couple of chapters are slow, it starts to pick up once Benson spends his first day at Maxfield Academy. I would recommend this to everyone who wants a very mysterious read! I would have to say it is more Science Fiction than Dystopian.
Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover: 

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this book before, but it seems really interesting! It sounds a bit like the Gone series by Michael Grant, there are no adults, the kids split into groups, a LOT of plot twists and turns and some amazing characters. I hope to read Variant sometime, and if you haven't read the Gone series you have to do it, like now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...