Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye - Sarah Dessen

Title: What Happened to Goodbye
Author: Sarah Dessen
Release Date: May 10th, 2011, hardcover
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.
****************************************
 I really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't. If anything else, I became super annoyed at it. First off, let me tell you a little story. I have been reading Sarah Dessen books ever since I can remember. My first book I read by her was Just Listen, the second book being The Truth about Forever, and that was when my then my love for her books was born. I could always count on Sarah Dessen to write a really good realistic story about characters that are relatable and steal your heart. I was...moreI really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't. If anything else, I became super annoyed at it. First off, let me tell you a little story. I have been reading Sarah Dessen books ever since I can remember. My first book I read by her was Just Listen, the second book being The Truth about Forever, and that was when my then my love for her books was born.
I could always count on Sarah Dessen to write a really good realistic story about characters that are relatable and steal your heart. I was pretty sure that this book would be no different. I mean, "It is a Sarah Dessen book! It has got to be good! Also, look at that cover! It is gorgeous!" That is what I kept telling myself, even when I started to dislike the story.
Okay, so it wasn't that bad. It was actually an all right story, but it just didn't feel like something that Sarah Dessen would write. Yes, the characters have a great backstory, McLean is a very likeable main character, and it is very realistic. With all that being said, I just didn't like it. The number one thing that really bugged me about this was the romance in the story. If you are going to have a romance in your story, please, please, have the characters hug or kiss or doing something! McLean and Dave don't do anything at all until the very end of the book and it is just one kiss. I kept waiting for McLean and Dave to just do something, but no. That is complaint number one.
The second complaint is the story is just way too long. I felt like there could of at least been 100 pages cut out of this story. The plot was definitely slow moving. The beginning of the book is great, it is when we get about 100 pages into the story that it is becomes super slow. I also believe that the summary of the book is very misleading; it says that Dave helps her become who she really is or whatever. When does that ever happen? Dave doesn't help her at all, sure he talks to her at times and they become friends, but he doesn't even know about all these previous identity’s that she has had until the end of the story. If anybody helped her with her identity it was her parents and herself. That was just a little weird. I know that at the end of the story, she forgave her mother, but I just can't forgive her. I hated McLean's parents so much. They were so annoying!
Now that I have listed all the bad stuff, let me talk about the good. I felt that McLean was actually a very likeable and relatable character. It was easy to feel all the emotions that she was feeling, and I actually really liked her. I also loved all the minor characters like Deb, Heather, Jason, etc. If I had to pick my favorite character out of her group of friends it would have to be Deb. She was so funny and a great friend. I also really liked Jason, the cook at the restaurant. I wish that he would have got a bigger part or something. I actually wish that would have been McLean's love interest, and not Dave. I felt like that would have made the story more complex. If you haven't noticed, I am not a fan of Dave at all.
I feel bad for writing a bad review, but now I see why one of the top rated reviews on goodreads says, "I want the Sarah Dessen that wrote Lock & Key and The Truth about Forever." I want that author back too. I know that she is currently working on another book; I just hope that it will be better than this one. I am disappointed, but I am not going to let this one book judge my opinion of her previous books. Sarah Dessen is a wonderful writer and her stories are relatable and great. I just wasn't a fan of this one sadly.

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...