Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sweet Evil - Wendy Higgins

Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Release Date: May 1st, 2012, Paperback
Publisher: HarperTeen
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:
 
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
************************************************************
Thank goodness I read Sweet Evil when I did. I was in a really bad reading slump at the time and didn't feel like reading at all since a lot of books that I have been reading hadn't amazed me. Then I decided to pick up Sweet Evil since it was on my 2012 debut author challenge. I had seen this book before but I hadn't heard a lot of buzzed around it. This book is so under hyped. I don't understand why this book isn't insanely popular. This isn't your typical young adult book about angels. Wendy Higgins creates this unique and interesting spin on the topic that I just couldn't stop reading about. Yes, this story is about angels but it is done in such a way that it doesn't seem like you have ever read about them before.

It has been a long time since I have loved a couple as much as I love Anna and Kaidan. They have so much chemistry with each other that it can be frustrating at times, but it's the good type of frustrating. The thing that makes this whole relationship crazy is that Kaidan is the son of the Duke of Lust which means that Kaidan's job is to take girls virginity. Anna is the daughter of the Duke of Addiction which also means that she has a pull towards drugs. They are completely unpredictable when they are together, which is one of the things that I loved so much about them. You had no idea what was going to happen and whether something huge was about to take place.

Anna is such a likable character to read from. That is the most important thing for me in a story, I have to like the main character or else I am just not going to like the book. Anna is half angel and half demon. It is like a good vs. evil going on right inside of you. I really hope that we get to learn more about her mother in the future books. Her father does seem like a good guy, but there is just something about him that I don't trust. I don't know if anybody else felt that way about him, but I feel like he isn't being completely honest. Anna goes through a lot of changes and self-discovery but she never forgets who she is and that was one of the things I liked about her so much.

Hopefully I gave this book a decent review and made you want to pick it up. I recommend it so much. Just be prepared to have your heart break with the relationship of Anna and Kiadan and one of the biggest cliff-hanger endings ever.
 
Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book. It sounds super good and I adore the cover. So nice! A lot of great books are underhyped and it's really sad that they don't get the attention they deserve! Anyway, great review!

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...