Saturday, January 14, 2012

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Release Date: May 3rd, 2011, hardcover
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Group: Young Adult Literature
Rating:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.
*********************************************************
I haven't read a book that made me had these feelings in forever. I have noticed some kind of pattern with me when it comes to certain YA books. For example, The Mortal Instruments - I just did read them this past winter, but have been reading books in the YA world two years before that. The reason why it took me so long to read it was because; A). The hype surrounding the books put me into the mood of not wanting to read it. B). When the cover + the summary of the book doesn't capture my attention at all. This also happened to me with The Hunger Games. I actually had to force myself down and read the first couple of chapters before I realize what everybody was raving about, and surprisingly enough, I became one of those wild fans that have an obsession that is never filled.

Divergent is just yet again, another example. I honestly didn't want to read it. The cover just didn't look like some kind of book that I would like. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it. I actually had to read the summary of this book a couple of times before I actually got a little idea of what to expect from reading it. I didn't want to be one of those odd/weird/crazy people that didn't like this book when GOODREADS named it the book of 2011. Another thing that lead me into not wanting to read this was the length of the book. It is almost 500 pages, and didn't feel up to the challenge to take this novel on. However, I can happily say that this book is one of those beautiful books to me that have ended up in the Hunger Games & Mortal Instruments series. While, all of these books (including Divergent) have their own unique spin and style, I could notice a lot of similarities between this book and The Hunger Games.

Now, don't kill me or roll your eyes - hear me out. I hate those kind of people who compare books to other books, you just can't compare didn't characters with different plot lines and details. *cough-twilight/harry potter-cough* There was just something about this world that Tris lived in that had a very HG feel to it. Also, Tris felt a little bit how Katniss would be, but my opinion started to change once she got involved with Four. Divergent stands completely out on its own. I couldn't put this book down. I actually read it in day! A DAY! Like I said, this book is almost 500 pages! I tried to put it down to go do something else so my eyes wouldn't be constantly strained from reading so much - but no. I went to sit down for dinner and all my mind could think of was: "DAUNTLESS. DAUNTLESS. FACTIONS. ABNEGATION. DIVERGENCE. TRIS. TRIS. FOUR IS HOT. FOUR. FOUR. FOUR. I LOVE THIS BOOK!" I think you get the concept of how I feel about this book.

Veronica Roth creates this world that really makes your brain think. There are so many good quotes to pick out from the story and the concept behind all five fractions. I did get a little confused at the beginning and had to keep trying to remember what all the different fractions consisted of, but when I finally got that down and once Tris finally gets to her decided fraction; it was awesome. I loved all the different characters that we got to meet. The two main characters are definitely Tris and Four, but I loved the minor characters like Christina, Will, Caleb, etc. The inanition that Tris has to go through is crazy. I loved the Fear Landscape. Oh how I loved Tris sixth fear in the fear landscape. That was just down right hilarious. It was nice to have some comical relief to this very serious story. Although, Tris does have a lot of witty lines.

All in all, if I could give this book more than five stars I would. It was beautiful and epic. There was a lot of plot turns and twist that I didn't see coming. As you can see, I don't think this story was predictable at all. That ending left me speechless. Is it May, yet? Everybody, seriously, just go pick up this book - don't be like me and wait forever to read it, trust me.

Plot:
Characters:
Writing:
Ending:
Cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...